Top 10 Reasons Why Anyone Should Give a Shit About Journalism
As a writer, you have to be able to sell yourself better than anyone. You know your strengths, you know where you shine and you know what's going to attract the most amount of attention. The old adage of "be your own advocate" is truer than ever, and the same applies for bands — or virtually any creative venture.
That said, we are are some sadistic people sometimes. When NYC indie band Journalism hit us up with their new video, looking to premiere it, we gave them a line of shit. It wasn't that the song or the video didn't rip — frankly, the track was a really fun and sunny power-pop journey that should be on many people's radars already. But in all actuality, we wanted to test this theorem of being able to be your own advocate, especially in the case of Journalism, who have the chops, but will need to sell it to the world in the right way. As a result, we asked Journalism why anyone should care about the release of their new video for "It Just Hits You," and the results — which come in list form below — are nothing less than incredible.
TOP 10 REASONS ANYONE SHOULD CARE ABOUT JOURNALISM (THE BAND)
1. Journalism made this music video and it’s premiering on an internet music website!
2. They play their instruments pretty well, but not to the point of intimidation.
4. Guitars have largely fallen out of vogue, at least in a “mainstream” sense, but Journalism’s members are in too deep to back out now. If you’re reading this, you probably learned “Santeria” in seventh grade, too.
5. Googling this band is hard.
6. Journalism was once in consideration to open for Rick Astley. Not kidding.
7. Profits are the stolen wages of the working class, but it’s okay because Journalism makes none.
8. If you close your eyes and pretend it's still the mid-aughts, then you can impress your friends by listening to a band no one has ever heard of. And that’s cool.
9. You shouldn't care. Pay attention. Educate yourself. There are much more important things to care about than some band. BUT if you’d like to forget about all that for a while and just hang out, then you’re in luck.
10. Journalism is coming to a city near you … at least if you live in one of the following metropolitan areas:
JOURNALISM on TOUR
Jun. 1 — Brooklyn, NY @ Our Wicked Lady
Jun. 2 — Philadelphia, PA @ Ortlieb's
Jun. 3 — Baltimore, MD @ The Crown
Jun. 4 — Pittsburgh, PA @ Howler's
Jun. 5 — Columbus, OH @ The Tree Bar
Jun. 6 — Bloomington, IN @ Blockhouse Bar
Jun. 7 — Nashville, TN @ The East Room
Jun. 8 — Asheville, NC @ The Odditorium
Jun. 9 — Chapel Hill, NC @ The Cave
Jun. 10 — Washington, DC @ Dew Drop Inn